“I would like to thank Martin for facilitating such an insightful discussion…….”
We are delighted to be able to share with you the recording of our Discussion Event ‘Can coaching address issues of Diversity & Inclusion’ on 29th April 2021.
The event provided an emerging conversation on the challenges, issues and opportunities that diversity and inclusion presents todays organisations and their employees. Many practical solutions and interventions are currently being piloted and their effectiveness reviewed, so to create a forum to explore these themes was important. We would like to thank everyone who attended. In this video, Dr Martin Egan is joined by our expert panel, Julie Nelson, Danie du Plessis & Sue Gammons who examine some of these discussion topics :
· How coaching can help people identify opportunities and give them courage to be empowered to chase those opportunities
· How coaching challenges the assumptions we hold as normal.
· How can coaching emphasise inclusion rather than emphasising difference?
· The importance of networking and coaching to create a safe space and to support employees
· The difficulties and separation created between majority and minority groups in organisations
· Is the diversity of a coach pool important? – “Does my coach need to be the same as me?”
· How does diversity impact how a coachee may feel psychologically safe?
· The importance of the coach to be affirmative and sensitive to diversity issues.
· The importance of the coach to have examined their own identity, beliefs and assumptions.
· “What do I need to know about your culture to make this a good learning environment?”
· What are the incentives for leaders to embrace diversity and inclusion initiatives?
· The importance of culture champions to lead diversity and inclusion change.
· How important diversity & inclusion polices are to attract new talent?
· How does coaching help people realise that they are excluding or are excluded?
Here's some feedback;
"On this topic of inclusion and diversity, there is a lot of diversity of thought and experience! However, there is a common theme that coaching can support a positive move in inclusion and support diverse groups."
“I would like to thank Martin for facilitating such an insightful discussion, and all of the attendees for raising points that really made me think about how I can apply lessons learned to my own workspace.”
If you have any comments or would like to find out more about coaching and/or culture, please contact us here.